Why any Charles Church Can Be a Visitor’s Paradise?
Charles Church – the very name may cause different readers to reminisce differently, and different places may be recalled complete with their different histories or traditions. However, most would refer to two of the most famous churches in Europe today – St. Charles Church in Vienna and Charles Church in Plymouth, England. St. Charles Church in Vienna was first promised by Charles the sixth, emperor of Rome, to the people of Vienna in 1713. A great plague had ended only the previous year, and people looked for solace in worship. Under the King’s orders, construction work began within three years, and, spanning two generations of efforts and design, is an architectural beauty. The original design was created by J.B. Fischer, who was selected through a rigorous competition in architecture announced by the King himself. After his death, his son continued work on the Church, and slightly modified the original plans but managed to complete construction by 1737. The building itself is an icon in many regards – its design and pillars symbolize the King’s power, the motive to build a church, and the influence of Roman imperialism. The lighting inside is directed using gold leaf and marble, which symbolizes the belief in God’s authority and love. Charles Church in Plymouth, on the other hand, is one of the oldest churches in Plymouth. Operating under St. Andrew’s Church, it was founded in the 17th Century.
The reason was construction was controversial – the King had serious disagreements with townsfolk on religious matters, and wanted a separate church to symbolize his own views and those of the Roman Catholic Church. Construction of this church was started in 1641 after an Act of Parliament, and St. Andrews Church, traditionally referred to as the “Mother” church, was given the name of the “Old” church. Today, the Church remains a landmark for the city of Plymouth, and is witness to the history that the city and its people have gone through. It stands in stark contrast to the modern, advanced construction around it, and is instantly recognizable. Destroyed during the second World War, the administrators decided against rebuilding it, and it is used as a landmark instead today; ministerial traditions, however continue to date.