Home » Home and Decorating » How To Prevent Fires In Your Home

How To Prevent Fires In Your Home

Posted by rafael on February 1, 2013 in Home and Decorating

Each year, firefighters respond to an average of 370,000 home fires. These unfortunate accidents result in an estimated $6.9 billion in damages and more than 2,500 deaths. In most cases, these tragic fires were entirely preventable. Here are some of the ways that you can prevent fires from erupting in your home.

Don’t Sleep and Smoke

It’s surprisingly common for people to fall asleep while smoking. When this happens, the cigar, cigarette or pipe can fall from your fingers or mouth and set your carpet and furniture aflame. In order to avoid this problem, it’s best to avoid smoking when you’re feeling sleepy or lying down. Furthermore, you should also avoid smoking while under the influence of substances that cause drowsiness such as alcohol and certain prescription or over-the-counter medications.

Don’t Leave Fires Unattended

Candles, fireplaces and oil lamps should never be left on when you’re not around to keep an eye on them. Candles and lamps can easily be tipped over by pets and children, igniting every flammable object they come into contact with. The same principle applies to fireplaces. All it takes is one stray ember to set fire to carpets, curtains and furniture. Before leaving the room, extinguish lamps and candles and place a protective screen in front of the fireplace.

Prevent Fires In Your Home

Prevent Fires In Your Home

Use Caution When Cooking

Cooking is the number one cause of all house fires in the country and can be caused by a variety of things. Grease fires can start without warning, are difficult to extinguish and get out of control rapidly. In many cases, people impulsively try to douse them with water, but this may only serve to spread the flames. Oven fires can also occur, but are less common. One of the easiest ways for a cooking fire to start is for a dish towel or other flammable material to be left near a stove burner. While working in the kitchen, keep flammables away from the stove, pay close attention to what you’re cooking and keep a fire extinguisher within easy reach.

Avoid Shoddy Electrical Wiring

Electrical fires are only slightly less common than kitchen fires and are usually caused by shoddy or damaged electrical wiring. This may be of particular concern in older homes where the wiring usually doesn’t meet modern safety codes and its insulation may be degraded. Electrical fires can start without warning in your home’s walls. By the time you notice it, the fire may have spread beyond control. To avoid this, it’s recommended to have a reputable electrician come and inspect your wiring, replacing it if necessary. To find a good electrician, try asking your friends on social media sites like Facebook or Twitter.

Keep Flammables Away From Heat Sources

Open flames aren’t the only way for things to catch fire. Things that get considerably hot, such as your water heater, dryer or furnace, may also ignite the object around them. You should keep flammable items away from these things at all times. In addition, it’s strongly recommended that you keep your dryer’s vents and lint traps clear as the heat buildup could end up igniting the lint and starting a house fire.

Featured images:
  •  License: Royalty Free or iStock source: http://depositphotos.com/

Jason Lucas, an avid blogger dedicated to helping homeowners efficiently care and protect their homes. He loves writing topics regarding to home safety and recommends Mr. Electric of Ottawa for anyone looking for experienced electrical contractors Ottawa.

Post Comment

© 2017 Articles Web. All rights reserved. - Privacy Policy