Ducal Palace of Colorno
Reggia di Colorno, popularly known as Ducal Palace is located Colorno a territory of Parma province of Italy and was reconstructed on a former fort by Francesco Farnese, Duke of Parma in the beginning of the 18th century. As a protection of river Po Azzo da Correggio built a castle and the castle belonged to Correggio and Terzi family for some period. Latter in during 16th – 17th century Countess Barbara Sanseverino, who was searching a palace for her esteemed painting collections of painters like TiTian, Mantegna, Correggio and Raphael, restored the palace. Latter the Ducal Palace was gained Ranuccio Farnese, he and his wife Margherita Violante started reconstructing the palace under the direction of Ferdinando Bibbiena a famous architect of the time and the work was completed by their son Francesco.
The Widow of Duke of Parma, Antonio Farnese, invalid Enrichetta d’Este live in this palace at that time. Following the interior decoration of the Versailles Palace Duke Philip who was married to Princess Louise Elisabeth the eldest daughter of King Louis XV of France, with the help of architect Ennemond Alexandre Petitot restored the Ducal Palace in 18th century. When French empire captures the palace from the Duke of parma, they declared the Ducal Palace a imperial property and on 28th November 1807 and then a new restoration work of the palace again started. After Vienna Congress the then Duchy visited Napoleon’s wife, Marie Louise and she made the Ducal Palace her most wanted residential place. Marie Louise created an English pattern garden in the palace to enhance its beauty. When Italy became united this palace of pride and prejudice became a state property. The province of Parma acquired Ducal Palace in 1870. Now Ducal Palace is the home of ALMA one of the world famous Italian culinary school.